Bray go down at home Treaty

Bray Wanderers 0 Treaty United 2

Bray’s home form, long a source of disappointment, once again lived up to billing as the Seagulls played out another dismal 90 minutes at the Carlisle Grounds on what was otherwise a very nice Friday by the sea.
With Treaty nine points clear of the Wanderers going into the SSE Airtricity League First Division match, any hope of play-off football really did require a win at the Carlisle Grounds. And after last week’s victory on the road in Athlone, fans might have hoped that Bray could make an effort to build momentum, something distinctly lacking this season with the only two consecutive wins coming in matches four and five of the 2022 season.
Any hopes of building momentum were greatly reduced when after nine minutes an outstretched leg from Jack Hudson felled Enda Curran in the box leaving referee David Connolly no choice but to award the penalty. Curran subsequently stepped up and dispatched the spot kick to Michael Kelly’s left.
As the half progressed, the home side fought valiantly to get back on level terms but lacked the creative spark to truly trouble Jack Brady in the Treaty goal. Darragh Lynch had two chances in quick succession just shy of the 20-minute mark but neither had sufficient guile to trouble the custodian.
The remaining portion of the half saw the Wicklow outfit struggle to break down the Limerick club’s defence despite the visitors losing captain Jack Lynch to injury on 34 minutes.
A half time substitute saw the Wanderers hand a debut to Joe Gorman, who’s signing had been announced earlier that morning. Unfortunately, it lasted just 40 minutes as the defender talked his way into what would’ve been a yellow card if not for continued dissent which changed the colour to red.
Bray started the brighter of the two sides in the second half with Kurtis Byrne forcing a save from the keeper from a free kick while Darragh Lynch headed narrowly wide. The work of the opening eight minutes was quickly undone when a shanked volley from Enda Curran bounced off the ground and sailed over the head of goalkeeper Mick Kelly who watched as the ball nestled in the back of the net.
Further home debuts were handed out to Jamie Hollywood and Colin Kelly, but the new blood could do little to stop the inevitable as Treaty looked content to hold onto their two-goal lead.
With the league effectively divided into thirds, Bray already look set to final third category of the season as Treaty and Wexford have pulled ahead into the play-off contention group.
The Seagulls face a trip to fellow bottom third companions Cobh, another team with a solitary win in front of home fans this season.

Bray Wanderers: Michael Kelly; Daniel Blackbyrne, Jack Hudson, Kevin Knight (Kieran Marty Waters 64), Conor McManus (Joe Gorman half time); Paul Fox, Ben Feeney, Callum Thompson (Conor Knight 64), Dean Zambra (Jamie Hollywood 70); Kurtis Byrne, Darragh Lynch (Colin Kelly 70).
Subs not used: Hugh Douglas, Eoin Massey, Vilius Labutis, Stephen McGuinness.

Booked: Kevin Knight (54), Conor Knight (77), Kurtis Byrne (77), Daniel Blackbyrne (82).

Sent off: Joe Gorman (86).

Treaty United: Jack Brady; Jack Lynch (c) (Ben O’Riordan 34), Marc Ludden, Sean Guerins, Martin Coughlan; Callum McNamara, Matt Keane (Conor Melody 65), Lee Devitt Molloy, Stephen Christopher (Joe Collins 81), William Armshaw (Joel Coustrain 65); Enda Curran (Success Edogun 81).

Subs not used: Conor Winn, Scott Kirkland, Leon Kirrane, Jack Arra.

Booked: Joel Coustrain (72).

Referee: David Connolly (Kilkenny).

Report: Kevin Dooney.

Pictures: Alex Connolly.