Cork City match report 27.10.17

Cork City 1 Bray Wanderers 0

Premier Division, Turners Cross, 27 October 2017.

Bray Wanderers were without the suspended trio of Conor Kenna, Keith Buckley and Ryan Brennan. Four of the under 19s and one from the under 17 team made the matchday squad. Luke Clucas featured in the match day squad for the first time.

Cork dominated the early stages of this game. Conor McCormack forced Peter Cherrie into making a save with a long-range effort. Kieran Sadlier then drove just wide on 18 minutes. The opening goal eventually came on 21 minutes. McCormack picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area and slotted past Cherrie from close range.

Cherrie then produced a great save to deny Sadlier. Bray’s best chance of the half came just before the break. Calvin Rogers broke free on the right and his cross found Mark Salmon at the near post, but he was unable to direct the ball past McNulty and the keeper saved at his near post.

Wanderers were much improved after the break and enjoyed more possession without really treating McNulty’s goal. Peter Cherrie produced a great save from Sadlier after 71 minutes.

Wanderers introduced under 19 player Luke Rossiter for the final five minutes for his league debut.

On a night when Cork City were presented with the league trophy Wanderers ended the season in sixth place, equaling last season’s finishing position.

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Conor McCarthy, Robbie Williams, Alan Bennett, Shane Griffin; Jimmy Keohane, Conor McCormack; Karl Sheppard, Kieran Sadlier, Stephen Dooley; Connor Ellis. Subs: Achille Campion, Steven Beattie (for Bennett 91), Gearoid Morrissey (for Sadlier 91), Alan Smith (gk), Garry Buckley (for Ellis 65), Sean McLoughlin.

Bray Wanderers: Peter Cherrie; Calvin Rogers, Derek Foran, Hugh Douglas, Karl Moore, Darragh Noone; John Sullivan, Mark Salmon, Gary McCabe, Jason Marks; Aaron Greene. Subs: Ger Pender (for Salmon 68), Jake Ellis (for McCabe 79), Luke Rossiter (for Rogers 85), Anto Flood, Shane Heffernan, Luke Clucas, Lee Steacy.

Referee: Graham Kelly

Match report: Michael Duffy

Attendance: 5,768