Late Galway goal defeats Wanderers

Galway United 1-0 Bray Wanderers
Waweru 82    

First Division

Eamonn Deacy Park
22 October 2021

Wilson Waweru’s goal eight minutes from time secured second place in the First division for Galway United while Bray Wanderers and Treaty United will fight it out for third and fourth place in the table to decide play off opponents at the end of the season. Wanderers must beat Wexford FC away next Friday and hope Treat United fail to beat Cabinteely in their final game of the season if Wanderers are to avoid a two-legged play off against Galway.

Dan Jones picked up an injury in the warmup with Conor Clifford coming in to replace him from the team originally announced. Sean Callan, Steven Kinsella, Sam Verdon and Luka Lovic al started with Brandon Kavanagh, Darren Craven and Callum Thompson all dropping to the bench from the previous week’s team that were defeated by Cabinteely.

Galway started strong and had Wanderers defending from the off. Wilson Waweru had a shot on goal within the opening minute. Ruairí Keating then saw his shot go narrowly wide after taking a deflection. Brain Maher saved a header from Joe Gorman following a corner. On the quarter hour Wanderers survived a goalmouth scramble. Wanderers came into the game and Joe Doyle headed over from a Kinsella cross from the right. Ryan Graydon then got in on the left, but his shot was deflected out for a corner on 24 minutes. Stephen Kinsella forced Kearns into a save after making a good run. Sam Verdon headed over on the stroke of half time following another Kinsella cross.

Mark Byrne fired a shot just wide five minutes into the second half. Wanderers had strong claims for a penalty on 77 minutes when Darren craven appeared to be taken down in the area, but referee Ray Matthews ignored the claims. The winning goal came eight minutes from time after Wanderers lost possession in midfield and a ball over the top saw Waweru race in and despite Maher getting a touch the ball dropped to Waweru who slotted into the empty net.

Galway United: 16 Conor Kearns; 25 Alex Murphy, 32 Joe Gorman, 5 Killian Brouder, 3 Stephen Walsh; 22 Conor McCormack; 14 Mikey Rowe, 4 Gary Boylan, 7 Ruairi Keating, 10 David Hurley; 18 Wilson Waweru
Subs: 1 Luke Dennison (gk), 8 Dean O’Shea (for Murphy 87), 11 Shane Doherty (for Keating H/T), 15 Carlton Ubaezuonu, 17 Caoilfhionn O’Dea, 20 Mikey Place (for Hurley 89), 24 Colin Kelly (for Walsh 90)

Bray Wanderers: 1 Brian Maher; 8 Mark Byrne, 22 Steven Kinsella, 5 Aaron Barry, 14 Richie O’Farrell; 6 Conor Clifford; 28 Sam Verdon, 18 Sean Callan, 17 Luka Lovic; 9 Joe Doyle, 7 Ryan Graydon.
Subs: 10 Gary Shaw (for Verdon 72), 11 Brandon Kavanagh (for Doyle 85), 16 Darren Craven (for Kinsella 72), 19 Darragh Lynch, 20 Ryan Bowden (for Callan 61), 25 Kian Clarke (gk), 27 Callum Thompson.

Referee: Ray Matthews


Match report: Michael Duffy