McCabe double sees off Rovers

Bray Wanderers 4 (McCabe 41, 45+3(p), Connolly 45+1, Marks 59), Shamrock Rovers 2 (Meenan 10, Doona 87)

Premier Division, Carlisle grounds, 21 April 2017.

Bray Wanderers came from behind to earn their first league win over Shamrock Rovers in 18 attempts. Kick off was delayed ten minutes to allow the large crowd gain access. Head coach, Harry Kenny retained the starting eleven that won the week previous in Dundalk.

The Hoops took the lead on ten minutes after a delayed kick-off, Darren Meenan firing home from close range. Wanderers took a while to get going but began to put pressure on the Rovers defence. Wanderers should have equalised on the half hour after Chencinski failed to hold at shot, Ryan Brennan followed up but his effort hit the post.

Gary McCabe headed home the equaliser on 41 minutes from a cross by Keith Buckley cross. One minute into stoppage time, Dylan Connolly lofted past Rovers keeper Chencinski. The keeper was then penalised for pushing Ryan Brennan in the penalty area. McCabe duly converted the resultant penalty for his 13th league goal of the season.

Wanderers started the second half on top. Jason Marks fired home the fourth on 59 minutes. Rovers substitute Michael O’Connor was sent off ten minutes from the end. James Doona scored a late consolation for the visitors on 87 minutes.

Substitute, Jamie Aherne forced Chencinski into a save low at his post two minutes from time.

Bray Wanderers: 1 Peter Cherrie; 6 Keith Buckley, 5 Derek Foran, 21 Tim Clancy (c), 23 Jason Marks; 8 Mark Salmon, 3 John Sullivan; 7 Ryan Brennan, 11 Gary McCabe, 16 Dylan Connolly; 9 Aaron Greene Subs: 4 Conor Kenna, 10 Karl Moore (for Brennan 79), 14 Jamie Aherne (for Connolly 83), 15 Alan Kehoe, 20 Anthony Flood, 22 Darragh Noone (for McCabe 85), 93 Lee Steacy (gk)

Shamrock Rovers: 1 Toner Chencinski; 17 Simon Madden, 4 David Webster, 29 Sam Bone, 20 Trevor Clarke; 6 Roberto Lopes; 11 Darren Meenan, 8 Ronan Finn, 28 Graham Burke, 10 Brandon Miele; 14 Gary Shaw Subs: 2 Shane Hanney, 3 Luke Byrne, 9 Michael O’Connor (for Burke 61), 16 David McCallister, 19 Sean Boyd (for Shaw 75), 22 James Doona (for Meenan 66), 25 Kevin Horgan (gk)

Referee: Anthony Buttimer

Attendance: 2,227

Report: Michael Duffy