St. Pat’s match report 01.06.2018

Bray Wanderers 3 St. Patrick’s Athletic 1

Carlisle Grounds, Premier Division, 1 June 2018

Darragh Gibbons goal

Wanderers made two changes to the starting line up from the defeat to Dundalk the week previous. Darragh Gibbons and Ger Pender started in place of Dylan Hayes (injured) and Ronan Coughlan (suspended).

St. Pat’s had a glorious chance of taking the lead after just three minutes. Ex-Wanderers Graham Kelly robbed possession off Moran and set up Conan Byrne but Byrne put the ball wide with an open goal in front of him.

Moran save well from a Ryan Brennan shot on 23 minutes. Wanderers responded well just past the half hour mark. Gary McCabe played in Dan Kelly down the right but the winger choosed to shoot instead of crossing to the waiting Pender and Lynch. Kelly’s shot hit the side netting.

Wanderers were on top in the closing stages of the half. A last-ditch block by Desmond blocked Paul O’Conor’s shot after an initial shot from Pender was deflected to him. Desmond then cleared a shot from Galvin off the line.

Wanderers took the lead on 54 minutes after Pender robbed Leahy of possession. Murphy blocked Pender’s shot but the ball fell to Galvin who rounded Murphy and fired home. Wanderers added a second on 68 minutes in a moved that was started and finished by Darragh Gibbons. The defender won possession off Bermingham in his own half and laid it onto McCabe. Gibbons continued his run and collected a pass from McCabe before firing past Murphy.

Thomas Byrne pulled a goal back on 86 minutes when he broke clear on the right and rounded Moran to score. Two minutes into stoppage time Wanderers sealed victory. Galvin cut in from the left and forced Murphy into punching clear. The ball fell to Daniel Kelly who duly scored. St. Pats finished the game with ten men when Thomas Byrne received a straight red card in stoppage time.

Bray Wanderers: 29 Evan Moran; 15 Darragh Gibbons, 4 Conor Kenna, 5 Sean Heaney, 3 Kevin Lynch; 16 Dan Kenna, 6 Paul O’Conor; 17 Daniel Kelly, 21 Gary McCabe, 7 Cory Galvin; 9 Gerald Pender.
Subs: 11 Jake Kelly (for McCabe 74), 18 Calvin Rogers (for Gibbons 87), 24 Jake Ellis (for Pender 81), 26 Byron O’Gorman, 27 Dragos Mamaliga, 28 Alex Rafferty, 40 Adam Dempsey (gk).

St Patricks Athletic: 1 Barry Murphy; 17 Simon Madden, 3 Ian Bermingham, 23 Michael Leahy, 5 Lee Desmond; 11 Ryan Brennan, 10 Killian Brennan, 8 Graham Kelly; 7 Conan Byrne, 18 Dean Clarke, 19 Thomas Byrne.
Subs: 2 Michael Barker, 4 Kevin Toner, 9 Christopher Fagan (for Clarke 66), 12 James Doona, 15 Darragh Markey (for Kelly 48), 21 Jake Keegan, 24 Tyson Farago (gk)

Referee: Paul McLaughlin

Match Report: Michael Duffy