U15s go down to Shels in remarkable six-goal contest

Bray Wanderers 2 Shelbourne 4

In remarkable U15 EA Sports National League of Ireland Phase 2 (Tier 2) game of football, Bray came out the wrong side of a six-goal thriller.
Leading 1-0 at the end of the first third last Sunday afternoon at Ballycorus, Wanderers fell 2-1 behind by the hour.
They restored parity at 2-2 early in the final third. But Shelbourne sealed the three points with two late goals
Injury and holidays deprived the Green and Whites of half a dozen players. That saw U17 player Dylan Ryan named in the squad – which is allowed under the rules.
The two teams had met previously in the EA Sports U15 National League Of Ireland Group C back in March and May – with the Dubliner’s winning 2-1 and the other tie being drawn 3-3.
It seemed it was going to be third time lucky for the Seagulls as they took a 25th minute lead.
Rhys Knight whipped in a free-kick wide left right-footed. It was flicked on and then hit the hand of a Reds player. But Darragh Emmett scored with a close range half volley at the back stick.
The second spell of 30 minutes was end to end. The Wicklow club somehow didn’t double their advantage in the 38th minute.
Ryan’s free from the right wing was helped on and then headed against the post by Jack Nolan. Ronan Murray’s follow up was superbly kept out by Ali Topcu who then thwarted sub Leon O’Sullivan’s rebound with the help of a defender on the goal-line.
The visitors then equalised in the 44th minute when Dan Ring slotted in a penalty.
The Wicklow outfit were again left wondering how they didn’t go back in front in the 53rd minute.
Philip Cooney span off two markers on the edge of his box. But his drive was superbly parried by Topcu. Ryan gathered the loose ball but was blocked off. He teed up sub Dylan Bourke whose attempt was blocked on a crowded line.
Straight away, Shels attacked. And were awarded another spot-kick. This time however, Ring’s 12-yader was brilliantly saved by home reserve custodian Sam Baker.
From the corner that followed, Baker tipped over sub Cillian Ryan’s shot. Then in the 56th minute, Luke Smith headed against the bar.
Yet, the Dubliner’s went 2-1 up in the 57th minute. Luke Smith unleased an unstoppable 22-yard drive free that Baker did well to get a hand to.
Wanderers did square the contest in the 68th minute. After good work by Knight, Ryan’s sublime through pass to the right flank found Ethan Cheese. He controlled with a first touch, and still on the run, drilled low to the far corner of the net.
The host went in search of a winner after that. Cooney volley wide Ryan’s 71st minute delivery before Ryan scooped out with a quarter of an hour remaining when well placed.
The away side went back in front moments later. Sub Giacomo Agneli passed to Ring who found the net low from 22-yards.
Then in the 81st minute, Luke Smith’s pinpoint cross from the left was powered in by Ray Conroy’s bullet header.
Elsewhere, section leaders Galway United maintained their 100% record by beating Waterford FC 2-0 on Saturday at Maree Oranmore FC.
The results mean that Galway lead the group on 15 points. Shels are second on ten points with Bray third on seven points. All three team have played five times.

Bray Wanderers: Joe Collins; Jack Nolan, Fionn Murray, Ronan Dawson, Roddy Cotter; Jan Sarwinski, Aidan Kane, Ethan Cheese; Rhys Knight; Philip Cooney, Darragh Emmett.
Subs: Leon O’Sullivan, Dylan Bourke, Eric Schütte, Dylan Ryan, Daragh Butler, Sam Baker.

Shelbourne: Ali Topcu; Ben Patrick Walsh, Senan Bolger, Ray Conroy, Luke Smith; Tadgh Hickey, William Smith, George Mosneagu, Max Ferguson; Patrick Manning; Dan Ring.
Subs: Cillian Ryan, Alex Carlisle, Giacomo Agneli, Steven Aluebhosele.

Referee: Rueben Collins (Wicklow).

* Bray stay at Ballycorus next Sunday (August 14) when they play host to Cobh Ramblers at 2.00pm.