U17s secure point against Waterford with late equaliser

Bray Wanderers 1 Waterford FC 1

Super-Sub Philip Cooney marked his U17 Bray debut with a brilliant late equaliser.
The U15 player was brought on midway through the second period on Saturday afternoon against Waterford at the Carlisle Grounds.
And came up with the spectacular goods with an 86th minute overhead kick to secure an EA Sports National Underage League Tier 2 Phase 2 point.
Cooney started and finished the move. His tackle wide left on the halfway line won the ball with Lewis Jacobs then finding Cooney again along the left flank.
His slide rule pass saw Max Mason beat the offside only to fended off inside the box by away goalkeeper Jason Healy.
By the left end-line, Mason picked out Cooney whose 12-yard bicycle kick evaded the recovering Healy and a defender on the goal-line.
Wanderers dominated possession in a tight first half with some fine approach play. But didn’t threatened the Blue’s.
That main chances fell to the Munster outfit.
A poor clearance was intercepted by Calum Flynn. He picked out the run of Evan Geary who dummied and the ball run to the unmarked Haig Conroy. But Jamie Molloy made a point blank save.
The away side went close again in the 41st minute. Free at the back post, defender Adam Queally glanced a header off Daniel McGrath’s corner wide.
Virtually from the goal-kick, Mason pounced on a poor back pass. But he was unable to beat Healy who made himself big to charge down.
Then in the last seconds of the period, Flynn again played in Conroy. But Molloy got down low to smother the shot.
Just 90 seconds after the interval, Waterford took the lead – with a huge slice of luck.
Conroy returned the earlier compliments to find Flynn on the right of the penalty area. He cut back inside to strike a left footed shot that took a double deflection off two Bray players before looping over Molloy to the net from 16-yards.
Mason headed over off Joshua Kerr’s cross just after the hour mark. Then five minutes later, another miscued pass saw Flynn break clear. But Molloy made another vital block.
Elsewhere in the section, Sligo Rovers inflicted a first loss upon leaders Bohemians when winning 2-1 at the Showgrounds.
Galway United joined the Gypsies at the top of the charts after defeating Athlone Town 3-2 at East United.
The results mean Bray are currently in fourth place, seven points behind Bohs (with two games in hand) and Galway (with a game in hand). Waterford are third, two points ahead of Wanderers with both having played four times.

Bray Wanderers: Jamie Molloy; Matthew Rose-Anderson, Zach Nolan, Caleb O’Neill, Luke Nolan; Max Hennessey, Jake Murray; Lewis Jacobs, Joshua Kerr, Jack Murray; Max Mason.
Subs: Paddy Kildee-Doolan, Daniel Lee, Dylan Ryan, Ronan Dawson, Philip Cooney, Samuel Safaei.

Waterford FC: Jason Healy; Adam Coyne, Adam Queally, Callum Geoghegan,
Daniel McGrath; Sean Keane, Mikey Carroll; Calum Flynn, David Leavey, Haig Conroy; Evan Geary.
Subs: Ronan Mansfield, Romeo Akachukwu, Ramsey Miller, Calum Costello.

Referee: Ben McEvoy. Assistants: Lorcan Colreavy, Thomas Quinn.

* Bray return to Ballycorus on Tuesday August 9 to host Drogheda United at 7.00pm.