U19s play our thrilling 3-3 draw with Kerry in final game of 2022 season

Bray goal scorers Josh McGlone, Zach Donohue and Evan Harte.

Bray Wanderers 3 Kerry FC 3

A goal deep into injury time denied Bray a final day U19 EA SPORTS National League of Ireland Phase 2 (Tier 2) victory of the 2022 season.

The Green and White’s came from 2-0 down last Saturday afternoon at the Carlisle Grounds to lead Kerry 3-2. But the visitors from the Kingdom snatched an unlikely 95th minute equaliser to earn a share of the spoils.

The away team had won the reverse fixture 4-1 last July at Mounthawk Park. A repeat of that result looked on as they led 2-0 at the interval.

From a long 22nd minute ball up the middle, Nathan Gleeson got clear of the last defender. One on one with Kajus Aksamitas, the goalkeeper made a cracking save. But the striker reacted to slot in the rebound from an acute angle.

That lead was doubled in the 36th minute.

A Wanderers defender suffered a Steven Gerrard moment and slipped just outside the 18-yard box. That allowed Gleeson to gather the ball and fire to the net.

However, the second period was a much different affair. The Wicklow outfit pulled one back in the 50th minute.

Jack Kehoe got in off the right flank and teed up Josh McGlone. But somehow Samuel Aladesanusi, made a goal-line block. Yet, the ball rebound went back to Kehoe. He again squared to McGlone who finished low from ten yards.

The hosts were denied by the crossbar in the 65th minute when a quick corner came to Ben Clark to shoot from 20-yards.

With 13 minutes of normal time remaining, substitute Cillian Melwani’s run and cross from the right-wing picked out McGlone. His close-range effort was charged down. But sub Evan Harte reacted to guide a header goal wards only for Aaron O’Sullivan to dive on the ball before the line.

Bray did make it 2-2 in the 85th minute.

Callum Goad slipped in Zach Donohue down the left flank. He got to the end line to hit a swerving cross-shot. The ball beat O’Sullivan at the near post as it grazed the upright and flew into the net.

Then in the 87th minute, sub Gavin Doyle set Harte free to beat the offside. The striker was upended in the box by O’Sullivan. Harte picked himself to make no mistake from the penalty spot.

But with the contest into the 95th minute, Kerry sent the ball into the box. A scramble ensured with sub Eddie Ward forcing the ball past a crowded goalmouth.

The result currently leaves the Wicklow club in fifth place in the section – having completed all their matches.

Wexford FC beat Longford Town 3-1 on Sunday at Bishopsgate. That leaves the Slaneysiders three points behind Wanderers.

But with an inferior goal difference of -9 ahead of their final game of the season at home at Ferrycarrig Park on Sunday October 23 against Finn Harps.

Bray Wanderers: Kajus Aksamitas; Callum Goad, Evan Laughlin, Don O’Toole, Daniel O’Boyle; Ben Clarke, Jack Kehoe; Jack Murray, Hayden Roche, Zach Donohue; Josh McGlone.

Subs: Evan Harte (for O’Boyle 19 mins), Gavin Doyle (for Roche half time), Cillian Melwani (for O’Toole 58), Kieran Mitchell-Lees (for Donohue 89 mins), Thomas Downey, Brandon Nangle, Jack Ross (all not used).

Kerry FC: Aaron O’Sullivan; Conor Kerins, Samuel Aladesanusi, Alain Beaujouan, Robert Vasiu; Cormac Buckley; Colin Doody, Togor Silong, Cianan Cooney; Ronan Teahan; Nathan Gleeson.

Subs: Eddie Ward (for Doody 81), Oleksandr Stefanyshen (for Buckley 88), Gavin O’Brien (not used).

Referee: David Connolly. Assistants: Christopher Campbell, Darragh Keegan.