Wanderers defeat league leaders Cabinteely

Bray Wanderers 3 Cabinteely FC 0

Carlisle Grounds, First Division, 4 September 2020

Bray Wanderers recorded their biggest league win of the season with this victory over top of the table Cabinteely. Wanderers extended their current unbeaten home league run to ten games. Wanderers have not conceded a home league goal in their five home games this season.

 Wanderers made two changes to the starting team from the defeat to Finn Harps last weekend with Tristan Noack Hoffman and Derek Daly both starting. Joe Doyle missed out through injury while Aaron Barry missed out through suspension for his red card in Galway in the previous league game. Wanderers were also without Paul Keegan following his sending off against Finn Harps.

Cabinteely set out their stall early on with some hard tackles, particularly on Callum Thompson.  Thompson and Paul Fox (Cabinteely) both received yellow cards as early as the eighth minute following a hard tackle. Jack Connolly (Cabinteely) also saw yellow in the 18th minute. Sean McEvoy had the first shot on goal in the 22nd minute after good work by Gary Shaw on the left had set him up. Former Wanderers player Shane Barnes was next to receive a yellow following another heavy tackle on Thompson.

Bray began to get on top and Chambers was forced to save from a Noack Hoffman header following a corner on the left. Wanderers broke the deadlock in the 29th minute. Shaw did well in the left corner and picked out Derek Daly on the edge of the box. The midfielder took one touch before firing to the roof of the net from the edge of the area. Ryan Graydon’s cross in the 37th minute found Gary Shaw, but his shot was deflected away for a corner.

Shaw headed wide at the back post on the stroke of half time following a Barnett corner on the right. Cabinteely put Wanderers under pressure at the start of the second half. Brian Maher made a great save from Keith Dalton’s shot on 54 minutes. At the other end, Thompson forced Chambers into a save a few minutes later. Maher saved twice in quick succession to deny Cabinteely in the 73rd minute.

Wanderers doubled their lead on 76 minutes when Gary Shaw tapped in at the back post following a low cross from the left by Thompson. Maher then produced another double save. Firstly, tipping over a shot from Kinsella and then saving from a Barnes free kick.

Three minutes from time, Darragh Lynch raced on to a through ball and slotted past the advancing Chambers.

Bray Wanderers: 25 Brian Maher, 2 John Ross Wilson, 3 Dylan Barnett, 4 Killian Cantwell, 14 Tristan Noack Hoffman, 7 Ryan Graydon, 8 Callum Thompson, 11 Derek Daly, 17 Luka Lovic, 18 Sean McEvoy, 10 Gary Shaw. Substitutes; 30 Enda Minogue (Gk), 12 Jack Watson (for Daly, 74), 17 Darragh Lynch (for Thompson, 85), 20 Don Franklin Ogbeifun (for Shaw, 90), 24 Glen Hollywood, 26 Cian Maher (for Cantwell, 90), 29 Dean O’Shea .

Cabinteely FC: 25 Corey Chambers; 6 Alex Aspil, 2 Daniel Blackbyrne, 3 Jonathan Carlin, 5 Conor Keeley, 15 Eoin Massey, 7 Keith Dalton, 11 Paul Fox, 18 Christian Lotefa, 12 Shane Barnes, 19 Jack Connolly
Subs: 8 Zak O’Neill, 9 Luke Clucas (for Aspil 52), 10 Kieran Marty Waters (for Dalton 68), 21 Dylan Thornton (for Massey 82), 32 Steven Kinsella (for Connolly 68), 33 Mitchell Byrne, 45 Benjamin Clark (Gk)

Referee: Alan Patchell

Match Report: Michael Duffy